Stand United Reformed Church: An Expanding Archive

As each year passes we welcome in more and more church records; some wait to be catalogued into new and exciting collections where others join existing ones – helping to create a comprehensive archival record of a church’s history.

The old Stand Chapel built 1792 and demolished to make way for the new church in 1885.

Stand Lane Independent Church is an example of an archive which keeps on growing! And with the church closing its doors to regular worship, we have opened ours to include another set of carefully preserved documents and photographs to add to our collection.

Part of the new donation of records.

The history of Stand Lane Independent Church at Chapelfield is well documented; not only as an archive in our holdings but in the many local history publications that sit on our shelves. Reading about the church is one thing, seeing its historical documents another but to hear stories told by one of the congregation added another dimension to this extraordinary archive!

Church Secretary, Renata Cappelli.

We were entertained this way when we visited the church at the end of last year. While handing over the extensive set of building plans, church publications and photographs, Church Secretary, Renata, regaled memories of the congregation at Chapelfield; taking us back in time and introducing us to ministers from long ago.

Rev Richard Slate
A newspaper article printed after his death describes Rev Slate as a “tiny, careful, smoothly-earnest man, consistent and faithful as a minister made more for quiet sincere work than dashing labour or dazzling performance”. After listening to Renata, we know better! This diminutive gentleman, along with fellow Reverend from Farnworth Church and armed only with their sermons, marched into Pendlebury to convert the ‘heathens’! Did they succeed? Not exactly … the people from Pendlebury were having none of it and chased the pastors away, pelting them with stones for good measure!

Rev Richard Slate, minister from 1809 to 1826.

Rev Alexander Anderson
In the church’s souvenir booklet of the Grand Bazaar 1897, a character sketch of Rev Anderson draws on his benevolent nature – his ministry is regarded as one of “a lifetime of singularly beautiful and devoted service”. Renata confirms this with tales of his kindness and consideration for the poor and destitute during the cotton famine of the 1860s: so moved was he that he sold his own furniture, books and clothes to provide food for the victims.

Rev Alexander Anderson, minister from 1852 to 1894. This enlarged portrait was on display in the Sunday School ‘so that his face may become familiar to the younger generation’.

It was a real pleasure to meet Renata and her tour of this beautiful building gave further insight into the church’s history. We were shown the breath-taking memorial window of Rev Anderson.

Memorial window of Rev Alexander Anderson.

And also of prominent member of the congregation, Walker Allen.

Section of memorial window for Walker Allen.

Below are some other images taken during our visit:

Amongst the records we collected from Renata are an extensive set of architectural plans, drawings and sketches. They’re perhaps the largest and most complete set of plans we’ve ever seen, the most surprising being a blueprint for the memorial trowel (presumably used for the laying of the foundation stone).

Drawing of the memorial trowel, 1884.

The records have now been repackaged, listed and accessioned and are ready for integration with the existing collection. Check out the entry on our catalogue using Catalogue Ref No. CSI for more details.

Wendy

Posted in Donations | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Photo Donation of the month: A Winter’s Tale

In January 1963, the local press was full of reports of the ‘arctic spell’, where on Boxing Day 1962, snow descended upon Bury and its surrounding towns. There were messages from the police who patrolled danger spots such as rivers, lodges and reservoirs to warn children of the dangers of thin ice; local shops advertised notices of soaring prices ‘due to the severe weather’; sports pages – once full of victories and defeats – listed postponed matches, leaving players wondering when they would be able to play off their back log of fixtures.

Taken from the Bury Times, January 1963.

Was there anyone out there, apart from sledging children, taking delight in the frost, snow and ice? Of course, there must have been many who saw the beauty and drama of a town’s transformation and we have the evidence of at least one: Gertrude Jolley from Prestwich! She composed this enchanting scene from Narnia, subsequently donating it (amongst other striking images) to Prestwich Library for their local history collection. We now hold the collection of photographs taken by Gertrude in the late 1950s and 1960s of a rural Simister before completion of the M62.

Description on the reverse: Reservoir near Baguley Brow Farm, Bowlee. Early in 1963, after long frost, the water leaked from the reservoir and the ice cracked and slipped.

This particular photograph is of the reservoir near Baguley Brow Farm, Bowlee. We can’t be sure if the figure in the scene is a companion of Gertrude’s but the dark-clothed ‘stranger’ certainly adds a touch of mystery and melodrama to the composition. There is a gesture, a slight incline to the right that suggests he may turn round and beckon us; do we ignore those warnings from the police and follow him towards the cracked ice? What did Gertrude do?

Check out description of the other photographs in the series on our catalogue.

Wendy

Posted in Photograph of the Month | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Unveiling the Radcliffe War Memorial

Most of us will pass a war memorial every day, as we drive or walk to work; as we take a leisurely stroll on a sunny Sunday morning – they are part of our community and our heritage; they are a focus for personal remembrance and a public record of gratitude for sacrifices made by our ancestors not that long ago.

They come in all forms from small brass plaques to a set of memorial gates in a churchyard; obelisks and columns, crosses and sculptures. When spending time in their presence, particularly around moments of public remembrance, they can help take us back into the past – maybe even feel some of the grief our forebears shared with each other as they stood in silence to remember those they’d lost.

Every November we might gather around these memorials, lay our poppies and wreaths in an act of remembrance. Yet how do we remember something that we have never had direct experience of? How do we imagine what a gathering of people might look like in fresh grief? Did they have poppies, did they pray or sing, just who was there at the very first unveiling?

This is where Archives come in; dipping into a box holding carefully preserved records – be they photographs, ledgers or reels – can evoke a time and place; breathe life into our imagination as it takes us back into the past. This time our journey will take us to the unveiling of the Radcliffe War Memorial on Saturday 25th November 1922.

Taken from The Radcliffe Guardian

Who to unveil?
There was a rumour that Lord Derby had promised to perform this duty. It was he who carried out the ceremonious task for the cenotaph in Whitefield; it was done with such feeling that the people of Radcliffe were disappointed that Lord Derby’s duties in the recent general election prevented him from being in Radcliffe on the 25th. What about someone from the District Council? Someone who had served in many spheres of public work and was well-respected in the town? Look no further than Dr George Scarr. His devotion to the education, health and well-being of the community was well documented in the Radcliffe newspapers. Everyone decided that Dr Scarr was a worthy replacement for Lord Derby!

Dr George Scarr. Photograph taken when he was Chairman of the Governors of Stand Grammar School. c.1928

Who will attend?
This is the community’s memorial, paid for in part by public subscription; a sizeable space must be allocated for the next of kin of those who died. An enclosure will be constructed on the Heber Street side of the memorial for relatives of the deceased soldiers and sailors. In they will flock bearing their invitations – a mourning army of mothers and sons, fathers and daughters. They will welcome the procession of ex service men accompanied by the Radcliffe Brass Band who will have walked from Radcliffe Bridge Recreation Ground. Those who have fought and survived the war and cannot take part in the procession will have their own space on Spring Lane. The seven steps that lead us to the memorial will provide an elevated platform for the clergy; members of the District Council; high-ranking military representatives and, of course, our very own Dr Scarr.


How did it go?
The morning hung heavy with fog. What if it was the same damp and misty conditions that took over proceedings when opening the Ambulance Drill Hall? Fears were unfounded and by afternoon the fog had lifted – a clear view of a crowd of thousands could be seen by the photographer whose job it was to preserve these memories. The Unveiling and Dedication Ceremony was set for 3pm but spectators had assembled long before then. The fine weather had made it possible for children to sit, huddled together in a neat, warm row upon backyard walls. Through the open upstairs windows of houses and upon the rooftops of nearby shops people gathered for a better view; waiting patiently for Dr Scarr to pull the chord which brought away the Union Jack. The crowds were silent as the falling flag revealed the bronze symbols of Victory, Liberty and Peace while Dr Scarr read out his dedication:

I unveil this Memorial in proud and grateful memory of those from this town who fell in the Great War … this memorial to the gallant lads of Radcliffe …

These words formed only a small part of what turned out to be a truly memorable speech reproduced for all to see in next Saturday’s newspaper. On finishing the Lord’s Prayer, official wreaths were laid at the base. The ‘Last Post’ was sounded by the 5th Battalion of Lancashire Fusiliers before a vote of thanks was given to Dr Scarr. Thousands of voices then joined in to sing ‘Abide with me’.

And what can we say about the flowers?
Bearers of floral tributes had been arriving since the foggy early morning. More and more arrived throughout the day, so many that they had to be laid in the Congregational school hall until the crowds had subsided. Someone tried to count the wreaths, bouquets and garlands as they were handed over but admitted to being “completely overwhelmed”. It was said that they came from every “mill, work-shop, church, school, club and public-house in the town”. The sight of all these flowers may have prompted others to contribute the next day; on Sunday thousands of people visited the cenotaph where children could be seen carefully placing bright posies on the steps. Someone saw a woman carrying a ring of red and white chrysanthemums and heard her say, “Aw’ve paid some brass for this, more thon aw con really afford, but aw couldn’t let other folks be showin’ what they thowt abeawt thur lads and me not do anythin’ for eaur Jim”.


So now you know, with the help of archives held here at Bury, just how people gathered on a weekend nearly a century ago to remember their dead. The 612 gallant lads of Radcliffe, in the immortal words of Dr Scarr, “who suffered and died in the Great War” have a memorial “worthy of their sacrifice and of the ancient town which the majority of them claimed as their birthplace”.

Wendy

Inspiration for this piece is taken from:

a miscellaneous private collection of Radcliffe publications and photographs donated earlier this year catalogue number RMX/9.

Reports in the Radcliffe Guardian, November 25th, 1922 and December 2nd, 1922.

A portrait of Dr Scarr taken from Stand Grammar School Collection; Catalogue Ref SSG/12/2/6

 

Posted in Bury Remembers the First World War, Voices from the Archives | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Photo Donation of the Month: Leslie Priestley’s view of Bury

Just look at how much fun you can have in your workplace before the Health and Safety at Work Act came into force in 1974!

This fabulous photo donation came into us recently and we felt we just had to share it! Who is this fearless duo, where are they and what were they doing so high up above the town of Bury?

Leslie Priestley (L) Tommy Cannon (R) on top of Williams Deacon’s Bank, 1936

Well, the year is 1936 and Leslie Priestley (left) and Tommy Cannon (right) were just doing their job – painting the flagpole on the roof of Williams Deacon’s Bank on Fleet Street (The Rock). What a perfect opportunity to stand on the parapet and strike a perilous pose for the camera. While Leslie was up there he took advantage of his lofty position and captured the following image of The Rock (using his first ever box camera) which he subsequently developed and printed at home.

The Rock taken from Williams Deacon’s Bank, 1936

At the time these pictures were taken both men were working for William J Bolton, Decorators & Signwriters, situated just a short distance away on Union Square. Leslie told his family that painting flagpoles was one of the worst jobs – with a ladder precariously tied to the pole!

William Bolton’s Shop, Union Square, Bury, 1931

Just four years after these photographs were taken, Lesley Priestley left Billy Bolton’s for military service and joined the Royal Artillery. His civil trade was not wasted during this time as he painted lettering on vehicles and produced signs for the army.

After the war Leslie returned to his painting and decorating working now for Fred Grandidge & Sons of Paradise Street, Bury. Not long after, he supplemented the day job by teaching his craft to apprentices three evenings per week at the Municipal School of Art in Bolton.

Leslie Priestley turned out to be a dedicated full-time teacher producing hundreds of examples of graining, marbling, signwriting, heraldry and gilding to be used as teaching aids for his students. We were so pleased to learn that these specimens have been donated to Bolton Museum where they can be preserved for future generations to admire.

You can just tell from Leslie’s proud stance on top of Williams Deacon’s Bank that he was destined for greater things and it was fascinating to read the family’s account of some of his achievements! Like the full-colour and gold-leaf restoration of Bolton’s Coat of Arms at the town hall in 1973; the restoration of the Royal Coat of Arms at Deane Church, Bolton (1976) and his production of a Bolton Coat of Arms presented to Bolton’s twin-town, Le Mans, in July 1973.

Grateful thanks go to Leslie’s daughter, Irene, for donating the photographs and providing us with so much rich history surrounding the life and work of a painter from Bury.

Wendy

Posted in Photograph of the Month | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Bernard Fielding Archive: a work in progress

We’re well under way with our scanning and cataloguing of the Bernard Fielding Image collection. We’ve had grateful help with this project from many volunteers in recent years, but for the past 12 months or so, Daniel (who is on the Bury Council Apprenticeship Scheme) has used his fine attention to detail for carrying on the task. Daniel is very methodical in his approach to working for us in the archives; we’re really pleased about that as this is exactly what’s needed to scan and catalogue this marvellous collection of slides.

Daniel Cooke scanning the Bernard Fielding Slides

We are very lucky to hold this fascinating archive, and along with the slides, it contains the personal papers of Mr Bernard Fielding (1927-2001).  Mr Fielding was a campaigner for the preservation of local historical landmarks in Radcliffe.  He was also one of the leaders in the campaign to restore Radcliffe Tower (Ref No MMX/17).  In addition to this, he was also heavily involved with the Radcliffe Civil Amenities Society (Ref No GCA).

Radcliffe Library, c.1970s taken from the Bernard Fielding Photo Collection

Some of the items catalogued include two bundles of papers documenting the efforts made by Bernard Fielding between 1968 to 1989 to restore Radcliffe Tower and bring it into public ownership; these include notebooks, technical drawings, and sketches of the tower.  Bernard also began writing a book about the history of Radcliffe Tower titled In the Hall of a Saxon King but it was never published.  A draft of this book is included amongst these set of papers.

Bridge Methodist School, Radcliffe, demolition, c.1978 taken from the Bernard Fielding Photo Collection

A large part of this archive has not yet been catalogued, although we have had lots of help from volunteers to produce a draft list of what’s inside the boxes. We hope to upload the scanned images (which fill almost half of the 33 boxes which make up the collection) to our image website in the near future.

 

Steve Perry, volunteer, who has helped list the contents of the boxes

Posted in Archive Skills, Image Gallery, Local History | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

The Holiday “Spirit”

With all this rain drenching our holidays we thought we’d give August’s Photo Donation of the Month a special holiday flavour! There’s sun hats and picnics, a pebble beach and somewhere off in the distance, the sitters’ eyes take us to a suggestion of the sea.

The Holiday “Spirit”

This is Roy Hull’s portfolio entry to the Bury Photographic Society in July 1956; lucky for us we get to read the panel’s remarks which offers some insight into the attitudes of the society’s judges during the 1950s. Overall they did not like rules of composition to be broken:

“The composition I feel is L shaped with the point of interest, table and contents not in the junction of the L”

“I feel that a bit of deliberate arrangement might have made an improvement. Four figures, each facing the table and a burst of sunshine would have improved. Or even a diagonal composition might have been tried”

“The viewpoint is good, but it is a pity about the disembodied feet on the left”

Front sheet of Roy Hull’s Portfolio Entry to Bury Photographic Society

Some of the judges clearly did not ‘get’ the ironic title ‘The Holiday “Spirit”’. We would have thought that spirit being in inverted comments might have given some indication to Roy’s apparent subversion of the traditional cheesy-grin, sunshiny holiday snap:

“The title seems unfortunate, the holiday spirit to me means action, vitality, a happy jolly time had by all”

“I should like to suggest another title say ‘Holiday Relaxation’ for the word spirit to me always suggests people leaping about etc.”

Roy has sadly passed away and his son has very kindly donated this photograph (along with other documents) to the archives here in Bury to be preserved for future generations to enjoy. We hope that Roy continued pushing the boundaries with his photography as we certainly appreciated his wry interpretation of the spirit of a holiday, captured so perfectly!All that’s missing is the rain!!

Anyone donating photographs to Bury Archives Service can be safe in the knowledge that they are stored in the best possible conditions for their long-term preservation. Please get in touch if you would like to ‘preserve memories’ with Bury Archives.

Wendy

Posted in Donations, Photograph of the Month | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

Joseph Buckley & Sons of Radcliffe: Herbal Brewery

Tom Keighley is a collector of old bottles, glassware and demijohns from the local area. His latest find is a large stoneware flagon bearing the name Joseph Buckley of Radcliffe and dated 1936. Most of the pots he collects belonged to well-known local brewers but Tom had never heard of Joseph Buckley and wondered if we could help find a location for the brewery.

Tom Keighley and his flagon bought from a local antique shop

We couldn’t find anything for him in the trade directories but from the 1939 register we found that Joseph Buckley was a botanic brewer living at number 14 Bury Rd, Radcliffe. The 1911 census tells us he was working from his home at number 4 Scotson Fold, Radcliffe as a herbal brewer.

As you can see the jar is in pristine condition and will no doubt take pride of place in Tom’s collection. And finding out a little of its history makes it that bit more special!

Did you know that Ancestry now includes the 1939 register in its records set? You can access Ancestry here in the search room, all you need is a valid library card.

Wendy

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

Cheers to Crown Ales: Crown Brewing Company Ltd archive

We were recently contacted by the archivist from Cumbria Archive Service to ask if we would be able to take in a hefty couple of share members’ ledgers relating to the Crown Brewing Company of Bury; they were duly delivered to us by courier and we added them to our existing collection of the company’s records. All that ale must have made the clerks who handled these ledgers super strong i’th’ arm! These volumes are seriously weighty!

Share and members’ ledgers for The Crown Brewing Compnay

The company was registered in 1861 as the Bury Co-operative Brewing & Distilling Company Ltd, changing its name to the Crown Brewing Co. in 1866.

The brewery and its offices were located in Rochdale Road, Bury.

Newspaper article regarding the demolition of premises on Rochdale Rd, Bury. 1967

The company was acquired by Dutton’s of Blackburn in 1959, at which point it controlled some 127 tied houses*.

Lists of tied houses

Dutton’s in turn was taken over by Whitbread’s in 1964.

The records we hold cover the period up to 1964 and were originally held by the Whitbread Group Archives. The company dispersed their archives in 2001 – we received records relating to Crown Brewing Co and also Richard Seed & Co Ltd, brewers of Radcliffe. Cumbria archives must have received the Crown Brewing share members’ ledgers from Whitbread during the transfers.

Together these collections hold a substantial amount of fascinating information charting the history of the brewing industry in Bury and Radcliffe. Below is just some of the material from both collections.

Transfer of mortgage Richard Seed of Blackpool, William Seed of Whitefield and John Lord of Walsall

Minute Book

When Dutton’s took over in 1959, Crown was the only remaining brewery in Bury and employed more than 60 workers. A report in the Bury Times on 8th August 1959 stated that some of the workers would be offered positions by Dutton’s but some, sadly, would have no job at all. A compensation payment of £25,000 was proposed by Dutton’s which would be distributed between the employees paying particular attention to workers with long service.

Documents relating to the takeover by Dutton’s

For a full listing please check out our archive catalogue – entering catalogue Ref BCB (for Crown) and BRS (for Richard Seed & Co.).

*a tied house is a public house required to buy at least some of its beer from a particular brewery or pub company. That is in contrast to a free house, which is able to choose the beers it stocks freely. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tied_house

Wendy

Posted in Company Archives | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Unknown Photograph Donation

We are always pleased to receive donations of images and photographs but we do ask that the donor supplies as much information as to the identity of persons, location and dates to make these fully accessible as a resource and as useful as possible for any customers wishing to view them for family and local history research.

Back in 2009, an unknown donor left the following photographs with Bury library which were subsequently handed over to the archivist. As yet we haven’t been able to trace any more information. If anyone can help to identify the location and/or the people featured in the images we would love to hear from you!

 

Posted in Donations, Image Gallery | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Lost Treasure: Missing WW1 Medal has found its soldier’s Archive

Last November we marked the Armistice Centenary of WW1; it was an intense and emotional time for everyone who helped the borough remember local military personnel who had lost their lives during the conflict. For us it really felt like a culmination of the previous four years’ work which saw staff and volunteers extracting and digitising obituaries and soldier’s images from the local newspapers. With plenty of media presence we helped family members learn more about their fallen ancestors, often seeing their faces for the first time.

Soldier’s images used in the East Lancashire Railway Armistice Display 2018

It’s important to be reminded though – there isn’t a specific time to remember those who lost their lives; their memories live on in public war memorials, rolls of honour, a photograph on a mantelpiece, a family archive – they’re always here with us in some form or another. And sometimes they are hidden just waiting to be found.

Taken from the Met exhibition November 2015. Artwork inspired by our newspaper archive

At Castle Leisure centre a few years ago, a soldier’s WW1 medal was handed in at reception. It had been found in the car park – the orange and blue ribbon probably long since detached. Staff working there at the time placed it in the safe and, as no one came to claim it, the medal was forgotten about. The centre staff explained that they receive so much lost property and, understandably, due to its relatively small size, it would have been pushed to the back of the safe-drawer.

British World War 1 Medal found in Castle Leisure Centre Car Park, Bury

During a recent sort-out, a member of staff retrieved the medal and recognising its potentially sentimental value she put a call-out on social media. One response led to another and eventually to Christine North from Lancashire Family History & Heraldry Society who, no stranger to research, took up the leads. That is where we come in! With the service number, rank and name impressed on the rim of the medal the soldier’s details led Christine to one of our blog posts: Rifleman Edmund Kaye.

We had received Edmund Kaye’s archive from his grandson, Bernard, in October 2015; (coincidentally, this collection was one of the ones we chose to go on display during the Armistice last November).  Once Christine had made the connection she sent Edmund Kaye’s medal to us for it to be returned to its owner.

We contacted Bernard straightaway – his response was one of amazement and delight. Amazement because the medal had never been in his family’s possession; delight – as now it could complement the collection; Bernard and Julia were adamant that the medal should be preserved here at the archive with the rest of Edmund’s items.

Bernard and his wife, Julia, with Edmund Kaye’s photograph and medal

We were happy to invite Bernard and Julia back into the archive to see the medal.

Below are a few words from Bernard:

“In October 2015, we donated some records of my grandfather, (Rifleman Edmund Kaye) to Bury Archives which were included in a small display for Armistice 100 during November 2018.

The records comprised of Edmund’s letters home and various other items relating to his death in action at Ypres.

Unfortunately, missing from the collection was Edmund’s service medal which we knew existed but had no info as to its whereabouts.

To our astonishment, we were contacted on the 21st February by Wendy from Bury Archives about a WW1 war medal which was found on Castle Car Park in Bury some time ago. The medal was handed into reception and eventually was passed on to a member of Lancashire Family History Society who then researched the name on the medal. A google search directed her to the blog that Wendy had written about Edmund Kaye so she contacted Bury Archives and subsequently sent them the medal.

The medal was confirmed to be the one that belonged to my grandfather, Edmund Kaye.  

It was an astonishing revelation for the medal to be found and returned to Edmund’s collection in this way. I have to sincerely thank the person who handed the medal in and Wendy and the Bury Archives team for all of their input to completing the collection.

I and my cousin Kevin feel that his story and his memory is now properly recorded and accessible for all in the future.

We are now planning a future visit to Edmund’s war grave at WHITE HOUSE CEMETERY, ST. JEAN-LES-YPRES Location: West-Vlaanderen, Belgium Where Edmund’s grave is located.”

The mystery of how the medal was lost in Castle Car Park remains. However, what’s more important is that it has found its way home and will be preserved for years to come.

Wendy

 

Posted in Bury Remembers the First World War, Donations | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment